License plate recognition in videosurveillance program Xeoma
The License plate recognition module (also called ANPR) will be available soon for European car license plates in Xeoma’s PRO version. The system includes algorithms of actions that allow us to recognize a license plate of an approaching vehicle by analyzing the video from the cameras.
Why do we need license plate recognition system?
With the license plate recognition system you can easily automate the entry to the any enterprise territory. You no longer need to issue passes for customers and monitor if anyone has lost it. Your car license plate is your pass.
This system will allow you to control the number of vehicles on the territory. Driving in and out cars control will strengthen the security. Database will consist of “white” and “black” lists, it will help you to identify the intruder. Such system, implemented on the company territory, will provide control over the personnel and vehicles movement on its territory. Nobody will be able to enter the service area, as well as leave it without your permission. License plate recognition system can be implemented at gas stations, service stations, as well as to monitor transport conditions.
How does license plate recognition work in Xeoma videosurveillance?
You simply add the “License plate recognition” module (ANPR module) to the chain, as it is shown on the picture:
In the module settings specify the detection area. You can also specify the undetectable zones, for example, curbs or sidewalks. If you do not specify the search area, then Xeoma will analyze the full frame.
In the “License plate recognition” module you can specify the needed settings, for example,
– detects white list cars (the archive will be written only with license plates from the white list);
– detects cars not in white list(the archive will be written only with license plates not from the white list (the ones in the white list – will be ignored));
– detects any cars (the archive will be written with any license plates);
– detects absence of cars (the archive will be written only with segments in which there is no license plates);
– detects always (the archive will be written continuously);
– detects upon receiving signal from external third-party utility/URL (when you receive an http-request (field “Path/URL to the external module”) segment will be written to the archive.
You can choose the angle at which to display information about and picture of the car license plate, as well as the display time (2 sec., 10 sec., 1 min. and etc.).
When detecting, the program records video frame with the detected vehicle and its license plate:
You can also write data to the cvs-reports (get them on the server in the settings folder (reports folder):
For Windows it’s:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Xeoma\ (either if Xeoma is installed or not installed)
/home/USERNAME/.config/Xeoma/ (not installed)
For Mac OS X:
Users/USERNAME/Xeoma/ (not installed)
This is how the cvs-reports will look like:
Ways to increase the successful recognition rate:
- Point the camera in the direction of vehicles, facing license plates at right angle;
- Fasten the camera to minimize wind interferences, vibrations, etc.;
- Place the camera so that a license plate would take most of the frame;
- Use proper lightning in the low-light circumstances (for example, an IR projector);
- Use long-focus objective;
- Set exposure to a minimum;
- Turn auto focus off.
15 September 2015